Monday, November 9, 2009

Puree stage

When I started this blog, the idea was that I would have a place to piss and moan about pain or hunger or whatever.  The thing is, I really don't have anything to whine about. 

I stopped taking pain medication two days after surgery.  I didn't need it, and it was blurring my vision.  I haven't had any pain.  My incisions occasionally are uncomfortable, but that's mainly the fault of my cat, who is always walking on me.

Eating has been good as well.  I thought the week of liquids would be torture.  It wasn't.  I found some good protein shakes, had some soup, and had to remind myself to eat.  It was fine.

This past Saturday started my week of purees.  Sounds kinda disgusting, but I'm actually enjoying my pureed food.  I started off with refried beans with some melted reduced fat cheddar.  It was delicious.  I made four meals out of one can of refried beans, and I didn't get sick of it. 

I'm eating pureed peaches with fat free cottage cheese once a day, also yummy.  Last night I tried some instant mashed potatoes with reduced fat cream of chicken soup as gravy.  It was very good, but at first I could only get about two tablespoons down.  I heated it up a little later and was able to get another couple of tablespoons down, but I don't think I'll try that again any time soon.

Depending on what it is, I usually can eat anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time.  The peaches and cottage cheese goes down really well with 1/4 cup of each.  I tried half a cup of chili for lunch, and was full about halfway through.

It's going to take some time before I get used to serving myself just a small dollop of food.  My eyes might literally be bigger than my stomach now.  I tend to start with half a cup because I just can't fathom that a quarter cup will be enough.  For the most part, it is plenty.  Maybe even too much.  For instance, my meal plan suggests a snack of 1/4 cup of hummus.  I ended up eating one tablespoon instead.  That's not to say I won't have another tablespoon of hummus later, because I fucking love hummus, but even then, it'll still be half of the suggested serving. 

Taste-wise, I've enjoyed the pureed food I've tried so far.  Quantity-wise, I'm not feeling deprived at all.  I get full quickly, and I'm never hungry.  Ever. 

As of yesterday, I was 14 pounds down from my weigh-in right before surgery, and 28 pounds total since starting the pre-op diet.  So cool!  I want to keep weighing myself every morning, but that will only lead to frustration.  I'll try to keep it to once a week.  It'll be twice this week, but that's because I'll be weighed when I see my nutritionist Thursday morning.

All in all, I'm loving my sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment