Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Change in tastes

I was warned before surgery that I shouldn't stock up on any protein shake brand or flavor just because I liked it before surgery.  Now I understand why.  I've found one powder flavor and two brands of ready to drink shakes that I can't drink now, all of which I tried and liked well enough when I was on the pre-op diet.

And it's not that I just don't like them.  Well, the Atkins shakes were more along the lines of just not liking them, but the other two were absolutely disgusting to me.  Seriously.  I gagged just at the smell of the Unjury powder, and the Muscle Milk tasted like smoke.  So nasty.

For the most part I've been OK with the samples of Nectar, although the tropical punch flavor I tried this morning didn't work for me at all.

Tonight I'm going to try tomato soup.  Real, actual tomato soup.  I've been a little nervous about incorporating actual food, but it's time.  I'm not getting enough calories on protein powders and broth, plus I need to see how my banana reacts to other liquids before I move on to the next phase.  I'm hoping I haven't suddenly stopped like tomato soup. 

Besides the wasted protein drinks, my only other complaint right now is cabin fever.  I want to do something, but I was advised to stay close to the couch for the first week.  I understand why.  With the combination of recovering from surgery and living on about 300 calories (if that) a day, I get tired really quickly.  Just a walk to the mailbox and back left me lightheaded.  Which is why I'm going to try tomato soup tonight.  Even 100 extra calories would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment