Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm a mess

So many unexpected (no, not unexpected... just... I don't know... just bad, I guess) things have come up for me since I've been going through the process of preparing for weight loss surgery.  It's all my fault, though.  Before starting this, I hadn't been to a doctor in more years than I care to admit.  I can't really complain about the surprises, because if I'd been seeing a doctor, I would have already known about it.

I had very high blood pressure.  Not shocking, most overweight people have high blood pressure.  But most people also get pills prescribed to take care of it.  I didn't, so I had to visit a physician to get a prescription.

My blood test results were awful, too.  High overall cholesterol, high LDL, high triglycerides, high glucose (scary pre-diabetes levels).  The good news is that nobody seems to be too worried about any of these numbers.  If I weren't having surgery they certainly would be, but they have a pretty casual attitude about it saying, "These numbers will come down nicely after surgery."

On the other end, my numbers are low in the things that should be high.  I'm severely vitamin D deficient.  My nutritionist, whom I love, high-fived me when she saw my vitamin D level and said, "Cool!  Lowest I've ever seen!"  Heh.  They have me on some prescription that's so potent I can only take it twice a week.  That's along with a multivitamin that has 200% of the recommended daily allowance.  And I take two a day, so that's 400%.

What else?  Oh, an irregular heartbeat.  Again, they're not too concerned and figure it'll probably go away after I lose some weight.  The good news is that everything else looked fine on my ekg. 

My surgeon, whom I also love, thinks there's a good possibility that I have a hiatal hernia, which he'll fix during surgery (at no extra cost) since he'll already be in that area.  It'll add about 10-15 minutes to the surgery time, so nothing huge.

My hormones are out of whack, which accounts for the lovely chin hair, sideburns, and irregular periods.

My knees and back hurt, I have acid-reflux (some OTC Prilosec has taken care of that)(if it turns out that I have a hiatal hernia, fixing that will help as well), I get out of breath just walking up a flight of stairs (fixing the possible hiatal hernia will  help that also), and I'm tired all the time.

So yeah, I'm a mess.  The good news is that most of this will be gone (or at least improved) after surgery.  Once I made the decision to have surgery, I've never second guessed it.  If I do in the next two weeks, I'll have to read this post to remind me of where I'm headed if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment