Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fear and anxiety

As my surgery day gets closer, it's starting to feel more like a reality.  As it starts to feel more like a reality, my fears are bubbling up to the surface.  There are two major things causing me anxiety right now.

First, of course, is the fear of surgery itself.  The closest I've ever come to surgery is having my wisdom teeth pulled.  This is a big deal for me.  And really, even though it's out-patient with a short surgical time, it's still a major surgery.  They're removing most of my stomach!  Complication rates are low, but there's always a risk with surgery.

The other anxiety I'm suffering from right now:  What if it doesn't work for me?  There's a small percentage of people for whom WLS fails.  What if I'm one of those people?  When I really think about it, I believe it'll be fine.  I don't believe that WLS fails people, so much as people fail at WLS.  It's not a magic pill, it's a tool.  It is going restrict how much food I eat.  I still have to exercise, I still have to pay attention to what and how I eat.  There are ways to "eat around" it, but I would have to work at that.  I certainly do not plan to do that. 

Still, it's a fear I have, and it probably won't go away until I really start losing weight.  That being said, when I can get past the anxiety I'm feeling today, I'm very much looking forward to the great things this is going to bring to my life.

On a different note, I have ketosis breath.  It's nasty.  I can actually smell my own breath at times.  I keep rinsing with mouth wash, but it always comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment