Monday, September 14, 2009

Trials of organization

Last night I got the brilliant idea that I needed a binder to keep all my weight loss surgery (WLS from here on out) information organized.  I've got things for the nutrition portion, psych, exercise, surgeon, pre-op, and post-op.  Too much to keep organized without a binder.  I also realized that I needed a printer so I could print stuff to put in my binder.

I was out bright and early to make my way to Staples.  Fun!  I found an inexpensive all-in-one printer/copier/scanner, which was more than I really needed, but there's no such thing as just a printer anymore, at least not at Staples.  I also bought some regular and three-hole paper, binder clips, paper clips. a notebook, pens, post-its, manila folders, and binder tabs/separators.  It really was a joy.  I like shopping for stuff like that.

I started setting up the printer right away when I got home.  I first had to clear off a spot for it on my desk, which was no simple task, but it wasn't that bad.  I got the printer set up with no major issues, and all that was left was installing the software on my laptop.  That should be the easiest part.  It was not.

For some stupid reason (eventually I realized that stupid reason's name is Vista), it wouldn't read the CD.  I kept trying and trying, but nothing.  This made me unhappy.  I started to lose it.  Words were shouted.  "Motherfuckingcocksuckingbastardsonofabitchpieceofshit!  FUCKING WORK ALREADY!"  Then came the tears.  "All I want out of life is to put a binder together to keep my information organized, but NOOOOOOOOOO.  I can't even get the damned CD to work.  Why can't one thing ever go right for me?"  Yes, I realize I was a bit melodramatic.  It was a moment.  Not a proud moment, mind you, but a moment.

I finally took a few deep breaths and visited the website of the printer's maker.  Good choice.  They had the info there on what I needed to do to get it to work with Vista, and I had to download the drivers from the site. Things were looking up.

Then I tried to print something.  *sigh*  It wasn't the end of the world or anything, but the three-hole paper doesn't work properly in this printer.  If I put it in the wrong way, it prints just fine, but the holes are on the wrong side.  When I put it in so the holes are on the correct side, it jams.  Or at least it claims to be jammed.  What really happens is that the paper is shoved through without printing, but it says it's jammed.  Grrrr.

I found that I can go into print setup and have it rotate 180 degrees when it prints, which isn't such a big deal, but why the heck can't it just take the paper so the holes are on the correct side in the first place?  Sheesh!

The good news is that I now have my different forms and other info printed, and I'm ready to put it all in The Binder, which is exciting.

That's my story for today.  Tomorrow I visit the nutritionist.

No comments:

Post a Comment